Monday, May 01, 2006

Jimmy Buffett

So, how was Jimmy Buffett, you may be asking ….. it was awesome. I didn’t really get off of work as early as I had planned so we were getting there in the nick of time. The fun began when we were waiting in a traffic line to get to the parking lot. We had seen a young man selling t-shirts to the line only moments earlier when all of the sudden he was running behind our car [well, a few cars down] and was followed in HOT pursuit by two of Dallas’s finest brandishing their firearms. He dropped to the ground and was quickly subdued. Thank God…..damn t-shirt salesmen.

It took forever to get parked but it was free and we still made it into the venue in time. On the way, we passed the fire department putting out a car fire in the parking lot [I would have hated to be those people at the end of the concert] and many RVs and make-shift tailgate parties which I am sure had been in full swing all day. The ‘push’ thru the entry gate was only made more challenging as I tried to steer clear of a drunk man with no shirt……yuk ! Once inside we effortlessly made our way to a small 5 ft x 5 ft square piece of lawn real estate which we promptly claimed as our own and arranged our blankets and towels accordingly.

The concert was fun….all the favorites and some new stuff….Jimmy promptly mentioned that the odor of ‘smoke’ from the crowd made him wish he could join everyone in the audience. I would venture to say at least ½ the crowd was over 50 and there was sea of Hawaiian shirts, grass skirts and parrot-head hats worn by most. Many people that have no business dancing, let alone bumping and grinding….were at their worst and I wished that I had brought a camera to capture the eclectic mix of fans.

The evening ended around 11:15p after 2 or 3 encore performance and the lively crowd, still on their feet after more than 3 hours of Jimmy, finally began to stumble out toward their cars and I’m sure an almost certain DWI arrest. For me, with margaritas at $9.00 a pop, the evening was a non-alcoholic one and I am glad, because the entertainment in the crowd was worth the price of admission.

Fins to the left……fins to the right…….until next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were going to see him! Remind me to tell you the Jimmy and buddy Bill Murray story - as regards the St. Paul Saints.

Later!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, it sounds like another of those memorable concerts put on by one of our friends from the sunshine state of Florida. Glad to hear that everyone in Dallas has a Hawaiian shirt laying around in there closets. I'm sure the local thrift stores were overwhelmed with the recent demand for such fine linens.

Just to add an extra dose of Jimmy, I've included a link to the almost famous margaritaville website. This page gives some history on the real "Cheeseburger in Paradise" It also includes the top 10 cheeseburgers of all time, by Jimmy standards of course.

Enjoy all....."I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks."

http://www.margaritaville.com/cocotel_archive_top10.php

Anonymous said...

Fins to the left.... Fins to the right.... and there were fins circling all around! And there was pot to the left.... and pot to the right... And......... well, you know it was all around! Just glad I didn't have some random drug testing the next day!!! hehe