Sunday, September 10, 2006

Saturday night and some memories.....

Last night Charles and I went to the first home game of the TCU football season in Fort Worth. It was alot of fun. They played UC-Davis and TCU won 43-16. We stayed for the whole game and it was a super nice evening out weather-wise. The entire place was a sea of purple and if we go again, I think I am going to have to get a purple shirt to wear....as if I don't already have a million. Here are a couple of pictures from my seat of the game and the half-time band performance [taken with my camera phone] :




- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tomorrow is the anniversary of 09/11 and I, along with thousands of other bloggers, will be posting a memorial post to a specific victim of that day and as part of my tribute I will leave it as my headline post all next week. So, no updates until next weekend.

I wanted to take a minute today to post my own remembrance of that day. I had been in NY the day before it happened, at LaGuardia airport on my way back from Providence, RI with my brother. We had been visiting Johnson and Wales Culinary school trying to decide if Joey wanted to go there or to the one in South Carolina. We had arrived back in Texas on the evening of September 10th.

The morning of September 11th, I got up, earlier than normal, to take my brother to the airport because he was flying home, from Texas back to Florida....Tampa to be exact. I dropped him off at the airport early and watched until his flight took off.....and then I went to work.....at American Airlines. I remember sitting in my office when one of my co-workers came in and asked me if I had any pliers [I worked in tech support] - he needed them to try and change the channel on the TV in the conference room because he had heard that a commuter plane had crashed into a building in NY. I didn't have any.

You all know the events that unfolded after that, so there is no need to recap. But, in addition to the events we all went through, I can remember waiting and waiting so that I could call and talk to my brother. Watching the clock as his landing time in Tampa approached and being scared to death. Even now, tears come to my eyes just thinking about it. It was one of the happiest moments of my life when I finally talked to him as he made his way in the Tampa airport to get his luggage. He still has his boarding pass from that flight.

Everyone has a memory of that day, what they were doing and where they were and I hope everyone takes a few moments of silence tomorrow to remember. And, if you've bought a new car in the last 5 years or your American flag sticker on your car is faded, buy a new one and remember that no matter how horrible that day was, it was also a day when a nation united as one, the way we always do and always will.

God Bless America !

No comments: