Saturday, July 14, 2007

Playing movie catch up

OK - so I have been trying to play movie catch-up. I don't subscribe to HBO, Showtime or any of those cable channels because to be quite honest I think it is a waste of my money. They end up playing the same old thing over and over again and then never when I want to watch it. Anyway, I know some people like those channels, so no offense intended, they're just not for me.

So, I belong to BLOCKBUSTER on-line. I have created a queue of movies and I can have 2 out at a time. This way I can catch up on all the stuff I feel like I haven't seen in the last 5 years...ha ha ! I'll start letting you know what I watch.

First, I have a gripe about the queue. I have a movie on my list that shall remain nameless, alright, it is Xanadu [I want my niece to see it], and it is NUMBER ONE on my list. So I returned a movie the other day fully expecting to get my number one movie next. But, no, they sent me my number two movie. Now, what's up with that ?? This is their official response :

BLOCKBUSTER Online® is committed to keeping your rental experience uninterrupted. Because our goal is to ship movies as quickly as possible in order to meet an estimated shipping time of 1-3 business days for delivery, the system reviews all "Available" titles in your Queue and determines which movies are ready for shipment from your nearest distribution center. If the estimated shipping times for your top selection(s) fall outside an acceptable shipping window, they may be skipped over for other DVDs further on your list.

Even though some of your selections may get skipped, continue prioritizing your movies in the order you would like for them to be shipped. We do our best to continuously distribute copies among our distribution centers based on demand.

Now, if I didn't want it next I wouldn't put it next, so I think they need to honor my list especially, since the movie's status was AVAILABLE and everything. I returned another movie yesterday so we will see what happens this time.

Next, a movie review. For those of you that know my daily insanities.....you know I tend to get obsessed, maybe that's too strong a word, how about attached, to certain actors when I see them in a role that I like and then I want to see EVERYTHING they have ever done. My current "attachment" is to Matthew Gray Gubler, currently playing Dr. Spencer Reid on Criminal Minds. He played a background character, INTERN #1, in the movie I am reviewing today. He had like two lines and an awful perm, but here's the review.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou [ 3 out of 5 stars ]

Brief Synopsis : Steve Zissou, sea-film amateur a la Jacques Cousteau, has reason to be melancholy: his partner has been eaten, perhaps by a mythic jaguar shark, his wife may be taking up with her ex-husband, a young man appears claiming Steve is his father (Steve hates fathers), his most recent films have tanked, he's having trouble raising money for his venture to revenge his partner, and he's attracted to a pregnant reporter who prefers the pretender. At sea, in pursuit of the shark, will he escape pirates and mutiny, forge the bonds of fatherhood, place his arm around his wife, find the monster of the deep, re-establish box office hegemony, and discover a reason to smile?

My Review : Now, before watching this movie, everyone told me it was weird. Basically, that is the word everyone used......weird. I like weird. So, with that in mind, I watched the movie last night. I thought it was.......weird. But, in a good way. I was entertained. I don't really know how to describe it much better than the synopsis above and all I can say is if you enjoy the off the beaten path, take a chance, weird kind of movie, you might like it.

Later.

2 comments:

Joe said...

1. I also have Blockbuster online and I feel your pain with the order of the list. However, if they didnt do something it might turn into very long periods before you ever receive something. But, annoying none the less. I recently rented the Planet earth series (BBC Edition) and I had these at the top of my list. The firs t of 5 discs arrived. Then I received 11 more movies before the next 4 discs arrived from the series. Ugh!
2. I think I have the crazy submarine jaques bill murray movie in my catalog....i thought it was weird and have postponed watching it. I will have to drag it out and prepare for a weird movie night. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

XANADU...now, there's something even I wouldn't have 'come out' about! and, do tell, is TWIST OF FATE also on your list? with it's all-time favorite tunes - Twist of Fate, Take a Chance (with Travolta), Livin' in Desperate Times, and Shakin' You. rock on - you rebel!